What is Magic Fireplace Screen?
This is an entirely new kind of fireplace screen. A fine metal mesh in a sturdy aluminum frame replaces the thick glass or heavy rigid wires of older screens. It weighs less than a pound, is less than an inch thick, and never gets hot to the touch!
How does it work with my fireplace?
The screen is slightly larger than the firebox opening and is held flat against the front of your fireplace with genuine VELCRO® brand fasteners. When the screen is in place, the fasteners are invisible. Simply pop the screen off to tend your fire, and press it back on to enjoy the fire's beauty and warmth without obstructions.
Is it safe?
Absolutely! We've been using this screen in our own home for several years and there's never been a problem. With no gaps around the edges hot embers cannot pop into your room. And since the screen is always cool to the touch, you can easily handle it without fear of discomfort.
We occasionally see a log fall against the screen, and the screen has always kept it within the fireplace. Nevertheless, a fire should never be left unattended for safety reasons.
Does it get sooty and dirty?
It does not. Like magic, it stays clean and nice looking, and doesn't get your hands dirty! If the screen mesh gets dusty over time, simply sweep it with a broom while it's on your fireplace.
Is this a one-size-fits-all product?
No! Each screen is custom built in the USA to fit your specific fireplace. When you order, you'll enter the width and height of your fireplace opening. You'll also get to choose the color of your frame - white, silver, or bronze (see below).
Are there limits to the size of the screen?
Yes. The width of your firebox front opening must be between 27" and 40". The height must be between 27" and 36". This accommodates most fireplaces.
How do I measure my firebox opening?
Measure both the width and height of the front opening of the firebox. If a measurement is not an exact number of inches, round up to the next inch. For example, if the opening is 27 1/4 inches wide, round up to 28. Measure a second time to check your work.
Measure only the firebox opening. We will make your screen so it overlaps the opening by up to two inches on each side and the top. Make sure the front of your fireplace will accommodate a 2 inch overlap.
Since your screen is made to your specifications, returns and refunds are not available if you make a mistake with the measurements.
Will the Velcro fasteners stick to any surface?
The Velcro fasteners will stick to most flat surfaces - brick and wood will generally work fine. Uneven stones, stucco or other highly textured material will not be suitable.
In the unlikely event the Velcro does not stick to the front of your fireplace, you can return the frame for a full refund.
Can I remove the Velcro from my fireplace?
Yes. It's held in place with a semi-permanent adhesive. If residue remains after removal, it can be removed with a common citrus-based solvent. Contact us for information.
What is the warranty?
Your screen is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for 1 year. If the product arrives damaged, or if the frame or screen break during normal use, we'll replace it at no charge or refund your purchase price.
Since each screen is custom built to your specifications, exchanges and refunds are not otherwise available.
Is shipping included?
Because your screen is fully assembled, even though the package weighs less then 5 pounds, it's quite large. Reputable shippers like UPS recently started charging by size instead of weight for large packages. Shipping the largest screen by UPS Ground will cost about $20 in the northeast, and 2-3 times that to the West coast. Shipping charges will be calculated and shown during checkout before you pay.
When will I receive my screen?
Your screen will be delivered 2-3 weeks after you place your order. We'll notify you via email when your screen is shipped.
If you're in a rush, we will expedite your order for an extra charge. Contact us at email@example.com to learn more.
What's in the package?
Your screen arrives fully assembled and ready to start using. Included in the package are:
- Your Magic Fireplace Screen with Velcro fasteners already attached.
- An alcohol wipe so you can clean thoroughly clean the corners on the face of your fireplace. That helps the fasteners stick.
- Extra fasteners in case you need a do-over.
I've never seen a fireplace screen like this. How exactly do I install and use it?
Installation is very simple and takes only a minute or two. No tools are needed. Follow these steps carefully for best results.
1. Remove your screen from the packing. There will be small Velcro fasteners attached to one side. Leave those in place and do not remove the backing from the fasteners.
2. Hold the side edges of the screen. Place it against the fireplace to confirm that it completely covers the opening and lies flat along all edges.
3. Set the screen aside. Use the enclosed wipe to thoroughly rub clean all four corners on the front of the fireplace opening. Dispose of the wipe and wait a few moments for the alcohol to dry.
4. Leave the fasteners attached to your screen and remove the plastic backing from each. Don't touch the sticky surface that's exposed.
5. Hold the side edges of the screen with the fasteners in the back. Rest the lower edge of the screen on the floor close to your fireplace, roughly centered on the opening.
6. With the lower edge resting on the floor, slide it against the front of the fireplace, keeping it roughly centered. Press the lower edge against the fireplace so the tabs begin to stick.
7. Press the upper edge against the fireplace until it sticks to the opening.
8. Press firmly against each corner for 15 seconds to ensure the fasteners make good contact with the fireplace.
Simply leave the screen in place for 15 minutes to allow the adhesive to setup. That's it!
And how do I take the screen off and put it back on?
The video on our home page shows a young girl doing this.
Remove the screen by grasping it near the top corners. (Don't worry, the screen is cool to the touch!) Firmly pull the corners toward you until the Velcro releases. Then firmly pull the lower corners away.
Put the screen back on the fireplace by resting the lower edge on the floor, centering and pressing it against the fireplace. Then tilt and press the top edge against the fireplace.
VELCRO® is a registered trademark of Velcro BVBA.